I’ve long been planning to build a hyperlocal directory for The Lichfield Blog and something which can be used by other hyperlocals.
B31 Blog launched their business directory the other day using a simple form submission and manual entry of listings. Owner Sas Taylor complained on Twitter about the lack of a decent business directory plugin, something I’m well aware of.
So when I mentioned I have been planning my own I got a few excited responses and figured if there’s interest why not ask those interested what they’d like in a directory.
Let’s start off with fields;
- Name (of the business, of course!)
- Address (incl postcode, of course)
- Phone number
- Fax number
- Mobile number
- E-mail address
- Opening times
- Contact name
- Web site address
- Wheelchair/disabled access?
- Disabled toilet?
- Location(s) (pinpoint on a map)
- Maps (using postcode/address)
- Search, with filters
- Show directory as;
- a list,
- a map.
- Toggle visibility of fields
- Payment option (to charge for listings)
- Paid-for upgrades (e.g. add additional photos/info)
- Use opening-times.co.uk for opening times so we simultaneously build up that site (which I made a plugin for)
- Pre- or post-moderate listing submissions
Any others? Add your suggestions to the comments below…